Choices

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

No Thanks I Don't Like Mango

When I was growing up I knew for sure that once I was an adult life would get easier. I knew that I could be anything I wanted, I could eat cake for breakfast and that I would get along with everyone because I wouldn't have parents telling me what to do. Well two out of three isn't bad. Since I have become an adult I have found that life is a bit more difficult especially when it comes to relationships. My family tree has grown as if it gets a constant infusion of Miracle Grow and along with that growth comes many different personalities. So today I as I was discussing both ongoing and new problems with people in my life I was presented with a great new way to deal with them. I was asked if I liked the flavor of mango to which I replied NO. My counterpart asked me if someone presented me with a bowl of mango ice cream would I calmly say "no thank you I don't like mango" or would I scream "how dare you bring me that bowl of mango ice cream"? Naturally I would say "no thank you I don't like mango" only an awful person would have chosen the latter. So then my counterpart then said hold the people I am having a hard time with like a bowl of mango ice cream. That means I can choose to not eat it, not be upset with it for existing and if someone offers it to me I can respectfully say "no thank you I don't like mango". As simple as this concept is it can be very hard to see when you are in the middle of a whirlwind of narcissism, lying and abusive bullying. I am really excited to further fortify our boundaries and have a healthy way to deal with these problematic personalities. So aside from the peace of mind this brings my hubby and I are laying in bed with Puppie practicing "no thank you I don't like mango" and laughing so hard our sides hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment