Choices

Saturday, November 3, 2012

In Memory of Sophie

I am sitting in bed finishing my homework and watching the clock. Tonight we "fall back" giving us one more hour today. Today has been a hard day emotionally for me. Heck this whole week has been a train wreck as far as emotions have been concerned. To be honest I don't think I have ever cried so much or so hard as I have this week. Two amazing people who Jay and I are lucky to call our friends had their two month old daughter pass away in the early hours on Tuesday. It shook my world when it happened because all I could think about was how something like this could happen and how if I had just one wish it would be to make it all not true.

Today was little Sophie's memorial service. I can't express in words what it is like to watch as your friends grieve or to think about the little girl that was gone before you had a chance to really get to know her. Tonight all I really wanted was this day to be over and as I glanced as the clock to see that it was 10:30 pm I was happy that it would soon be. Then I realized at midnight our clocks go back an hour which means that this could literally be one of the longest days of my life. As soon as I had this thought a new wonderful and comforting thought came to me. Today instead of having one more hour of hardship we are all being given one more hour to remember the beautiful light that was baby Sophie.

Let me tell you what I know about Sophie. She was a beautiful and had such a light in her eyes from the moment she was born. She had an amazing father who beamed with pride anytime you mentioned her name. Her mother is one of the strongest and kindest souls I have ever had the privilege to know. As parents they put their daughter first and gave her a life full of love that would to be rivaled. I was lucky enough to hold baby Sophie soon after she was born. I will never forget her little hands, her sweet coos, the way she smelled or how my husband was scared to hold her. I loved going one Facebook daily to see what new pictures of her their were. One of my favorites was of her aunt holding her and getting to joke about share the coveted "Auntie of the Year" award with her. I know that if I am blessed to have my own children I hope that I can be the type of parent my friends are and that my child knows all the love the world has to give like baby Sophie did.

I am going to spend the rest of the night enjoying the extra hour being given to me and remembering all the beauty baby Sophie brought with her. One more thing before I go to enjoy my time thought. I am going to share a piece of her program with you all that touched my heart.
Daddy please don't look so sad,
Mommy please don't cry.
I am in the arms of Jesus
and He sings me lullabies.
Please do not try to question God,
don't think He is unkind.
Don't think He sent me to you
and that He changed His mind.
You see that I am special and I'm needed up above.
I'm the special child you gave Him,
the product of your love.
I'll always be there with you.
So watch the sky at night.
Find the brightest star that's gleaming.
That's my halo's brilliant light.
So Daddy please don't look so sad.
Mommy please don't cry.
I am in the arms of Jesus.
And He sings me lullabies.



If you want to do more than send thoughts and prayers donations to Sophie's Gift Memorial Fund may be made in person at any branch of Wells Fargo Bank. This fund is established to help her parents move forward from here.

1 comment:

  1. God bless them and I am so happy that you are their friend because I know they have great love and support from a beautiful soul.

    ReplyDelete