Choices

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Bucket List

Do you have a bucket list?

When asked this question some people will say yes and some say no. However, most whether they have one or not will have at least one thing they dream of doing in life. I have heard answers ranging from "I want to watch the sun come up over the ocean" to "have a million dollars". Whatever is wanted is what really speaks to the persons heath through their desires. I have played with the concept of a bucket list in my time and have had a few things added to my list throughout the years. 

Most recently I have had the opportunity of being able to almost cross off one of my long standing items. On October 30th I get to see Dr. Maya Angelou speak here in Portland. She has been a source of inspiration for me since I was just eight years old. Her talents astound me, her life inspires me and her messages resonate strongly with me. When the opportunity presented itself (after I stopped jumping with glee) I told a few people that I was going to see her and could now cross this off my bucket list. 

As I told more people this I started thinking about what was really on my list and questions started to arise. Is there anything that is on there I don't really want any more? Is there anything to add? Then one question really stuck in my mind. How many things have I done in my life that should have been on the list but until I had experienced them wouldn't have made it? Funny thing is that my so called bucket list is significantly shorter than my experiences list and really spoke to how thankful I should be about my life.

 Bucket List
  1. Travel to Scotland
  2. Travel to Ireland
  3. Obtain my Ph.D.
  4. Write a book
  5. See Dr. Maya Angelou speak
  6. Meet Stephen King
  7. See Stephen Hawking speak
  8. Visit my tribes reservation (Blackfoot Tribe, Browning, Montana)
  9. Drive a Skyline in Japan
  10. Travel to Moscow
  11. See a show on Broadway
  12. Have a baby
Life Experiences
  1. Attended Space Camp
  2. Been through a tornado
  3. Swam with dolphins
  4. Petted a shark in my back yard
  5. Learned to surf
  6. Owned horses
  7. Learned vaulting (horses)
  8. Trained polo horses
  9. Learned martial arts
  10. Played with a jazz band at Disney Land
  11. Learned many musical instruments
  12. Guested with an orchestra
  13. Spent a summer in Alaska
  14. Learned how to ride a motorcycle
  15. Moved 4,000 miles from home
  16. Maintained a 4.0 GPA in college
  17. Visited the Grand Canyon
  18. Spent summers at Neverland Ranch
  19. Went to a Super Bowl
  20. Had my own bodyguard 
  21. Lived in the music celebrity circle
  22. Worked at a medical research facility complete with onsite learning of biology, chemistry, microfluidics, imaging, and radiochemistry
  23. Hosted a gala
  24. Vacationed at posh resorts
  25. Had a Tiffany's jewelry collection
  26. Watched my brother graduate from boot camp
  27. Toured the Sears tower
  28. Rode a train through Chicago
  29. Watched my nephew be born
  30. Got married
  31. Went on a honeymoon
  32. Drove from LA to Portland
  33. Went to a few professional baseball games
  34. Sat court side at a professional basketball game
  35. Flown a plane
  36. Flown in a private jet
  37. Rode an elephant
  38. Worked as a professional model
  39. Seen the Harlem Globe Trotters
  40. Went to many musicals (Cats, Phantom, Les Mis, Porgy & Bess, etc)
  41. Been on a movie set
  42. Been on a music video set
  43. Participated in recording an album
  44. Sailed on boats both in lakes and ocean
  45. Visited 14 states
  46. Received a scholarship
  47. Learned to snowboard
  48. Been to a professional soccer game
  49. Made over $1,000,000 in my life
  50. Had a best friend for 24 years
There is more but once I hit 50 I got the point. You can plan your life, pursue your dreams and work hard towards your goals and desires. Every once and a while stop for a moment. Take a breath. Look back on your life and realize all the things you would have missed if you didn't let life just happen sometimes. For me, I thought I had always known what I wanted my life to look like but what I know now is that I am glad it didn't work out that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment